Friday, July 23, 2021

Frugal Friday 403

 Happy Frugal Friday!

Here is how we saved money/spent money wisely/made extra money this week:

- A few weeks ago, Annabeth and I cleaned out her closet. She's had a growth spurt so many summer dresses were becoming too short. I listed them on Facebook and sold most of them. Made: $100

- I generally keep my PayPal payments, like from the sales above, in my account and use it for "fun money." Last week Zulily had some great deals on a few items the kids wanted for Christmas. I was able to check out with PayPal making most of it "free" aka the money didn't come from my checking account. 

- I grocery shopped using Walmart Pick-Up. I LOVE shopping that way because it's super easy to stay on budget as I can easily price compare items and can watch my total closely. After nearly $15 in cashback from Ibotta, I spent just $50 for the week. 

- I won a half-off item in my Matilda Jane Facebook Group! Thank you Danielle! Need a Trunk Keeper? You can shop with Danielle here

- My best friend entered me to win a contest in a boutique Facebook group that we are both in. I WON! The boutique owner sent me the cutest pair of animal print sandals. Check out Sunflower and Blooms here. Thank you Jac! The two of us also won a contest that I will post more about later this fall! :) 

- Thanks to their friends, my kids have gotten REALLY into Harry Potter. Annabeth has read the first three books and with Mark they have watched the first seven movies. I have found a lot of great looking books, games, legos, etc online but everything HP seems to be really pricey. Thankfully our local library had a ton of great resources in addition to the main books. We picked up a Harry Potter fact book and Lego game last weekend. 

- Sunday afternoon we visited the fair with my in-laws. The kids had a great time with their cousins and the rest of the family. We went again on Tuesday with my dad. Both times we parked at my friend's Ann's house (saving us the cost of parking) and Tuesday we left Ann and the kids hidden painted rocks as a "thank you"

- Since I saved the cost of parking, $10 total saved, I did splurge and buy ice cream each time. We spent $14 on ice cream but packed in our own waters and lunches. 

Fair day with Grandpa

Mr. O fit right in with his boots, jeans, belt, and tucked in 4H shirt.
He has big cowboy and goat-owning dreams now. 

And now, as a 10 year 4Her who is raising my kids in 4H, here is my 4H Fair PSA:

Please take your kids to the fair! Show them the projects, walk them around the barns to see the animals, enjoy a livestock show or demonstration, and have a good conversation with your kids. I LOVED growing up in 4H and many of my childhood, college, and adult friends run farms. I am PROUD to know the farmers who grow our vegetables, chicken, beef, and pork. I LOVE showing my kids the family farm names at the fair and that my kids know where their food comes from. Obviously, enjoy the carnival games and rides if that's your thing but be sure to enjoy the 4H part of the 4H fair as well! Help them see it takes hard work and grit to grow/raise the food that we all eat. 

Happy Savings to All! 

No comments: