Friday, March 11, 2022

Frugal Friday 434

 Happy Frugal Friday!

Here's how we saved money/spent money wisely/made extra money this week:

- Saturday was gorgeous - 75 and sunny! We spent the afternoon at a local park, playing at two playgrounds, and then came home to spend more time outside in the backyard. 

- Mark had planned to test out a new tent-tarp with an overnight campout on Saturday but it was extremely windy so they packed it in and camped out in the living room. I am sure the tarp would have held but we had thunderstorms, tons of rain, and very high winds all night so I think it was better for the kids to be indoors.

- Sunday afternoon we went to Mark's moms for Mark's birthday dinner. We had a great time playing with our niece and nephew and Mark was very pleased with his birthday gifts. Kristi sent us home with berries and chicken. I was able to shred the chicken and we used it as the meat for Monday and Tuesday night dinners. These dinners, chicken with black beans over yellow rice and chicken taco soup, were also lunches for Tuesday and Wedndesday. 

- We did our first grocery trip in 2 weeks. I spent $68.54 at Walmart pick-up. People ALWAYS, especially now, ask "What do you spend on groceries?" and "What do you eat each week" Remember that our shelves/fridge/freezer were not empty when we went but here's what we bought this week.

Produce (Fresh): Cuties, Bananas, Onions, and Poblano Peppers

Produce (Frozen): 4 big bags of assorted frozen veggies

Meat: Lunchmeat Salami and Turkey

Cheese: Shredded mozzarella, Shredded Monterey Jack, Colby Jack Slices, and Cottage Cheese

Bread/Crackers: 1 loaf of bread, Low Carb Tortillas, and 1 box of Wheat Thins

Fridge Items: Sour Cream, Cold Brew Coffee

Pantry Items: Pop-Tarts (they were out of the little box I ordered so we got a larger box for the small box price), 4 cans black beans, 2 cans chic peas, 2 jars pasta sauce, 1 can rotel, 1 can tomatoes, lasagna noodles, and yellow rice 

- Monday after school we went to tour a new library in our library system. We ran into some friends and the kids spend 2+hours playing in the new children's area. We also found a great deal of books for the week. 

This light wall was REALLY fun (even for me!) 

The kids loved playing in the toy kitchen/restaurant.
It was neat to watch kids just learning to walk all the way to Annabeth's age (10)
explore and play together.

- A co-worker gifted Owen several pairs of baseball pants. Owen now has several pairs for this year and some to grow into for next year. We also received a pair of new-in-box cleats for the year. The pants that were too small we are passing on to a friend who is also playing ball this year.

- I listed and sold several items online. I immediately made a Principal Payment on our home mortgage. I am keeping track and at the end of the month I will share how much I made/added to our mortgage payments. We don't pay any fees to make additional payments/principal payments so I was sure to add it right away so I wasn't tempted to put the money somewhere else. This is my March Challenge for myself. 

- Last night I went to a Curriculum Night with our homeschool co-op. I took a large box of items, mostly preschool to Kindergarten ages, to share with other families. It was a huge relief to have so many materials leaving our house and going to homeschools that will use them. The mom hosting supplied dinner and we were each to bring a drink or dessert to share. I took some homemade fudge from our freezer.

- I was able to purchase Annabeth's science books for next year at a great discount. We have really enjoyed the materials we are using this year and a friend just happened to be selling the same publisher's 6th grade set for less than half of the price new. I was happy to get a deal and to buy from a friend.

- I was able to get THREE of the books that I had planned to buy for Owen for 2nd grade for FREE! This was a $55 savings!! 

We had a great week and although we miss the warm, sunny weather of last weekend we still found time/ways to spend at least an hour each day outdoors. This does such great things for our moods. 

We are looking forward to a weekend filled with dance!

Happy Savings to All! 




No comments: