Friday, May 13, 2022

Frugal Friday 443

 Happy Frugal Friday!

Here's how we saved money/spent money wisely/made extra money this week:

- The kids and I went to Owensboro for the Kentucky Derby, Mother's Day, and Momaw's 92nd Birthday last weekend. We had beautiful weather and such a wonderful time with family!

- I did spend money on a hotel for two nights. We always choose one right on the river, close to the beautiful park there. This time the hotel fell short with some maintenance issues so they gave me back $25. I did make sure to book one with free breakfast, a pool, and with cashback through Rakuten 

- For Derby day, I rewore a hat from last year. Annabeth used a pink hat that we've had for several years and decorated it with items from around the house. It had the theme: Dressmaker's Shop and was adorable! She used feathers, a purse, little dresses, dress designs, and a measuring tape to decorate it. She won a prize for Most Creative hat.


- We gifted Momaw a flamingo for her yard and a beautiful succulent plant arrangement. We purchased the plant from a local friend who was selling it as part of a gymnastics fundraiser. We gifted Mama a gift certificate for a lunch date to Main & Madison. We are trying very hard to eliminate clutter in our own home and to also not pass along clutter items to others. We are focused on giving consumables or experiences as gifts. Mark took his mom to brunch and his gift to her was time working on a project. 

- We drove home Sunday afternoon. We took the scenic way as it was lovely and sunny. The kids loved all of the hilly farms, German buildings in Jasper, and seeing Amish buggies. At home, Mark surprised me with my favorite dinner that he makes. The kids gave me the sweetest gifts - Annabeth gave me nail polish and we did our nails together and Owen found my favorite candy. Mark and his mom each gifted me a giftcard to Main & Madison (great minds think alike!) 

- We had a busy week with kids' activities each night. I remained committed to serving dinner at home though as we ate quick, easy meals while saving the cost of eat-out food. Last week's grocery bill was $80 and this coming week we've spent $95. We have company coming for the weekend so an increase was necessary. 

- We picked up the summer schedule from our library and I made sure to register for all that the kids want to attend. If you're not using your local library - start now! We have had SO many incredible science, art, reading, etc opportunities for totally free thanks to our libraries. 

- A couple of friends have recommended a book over the past few weeks. Instead of buying online, I put it on hold at the library. It seems quite popular so I will have to wait for it but it was better than buying new as I plan to read 1x and to take notes. 

We are adjusting to our new, summer schedule and are looking forward to the kids' last regional dance competition this weekend.

Happy Savings to All! 


No comments: