Friday, February 10, 2023

Frugal Friday 480

 Happy Frugal Friday!

Here is how we saved money/spent money wisely/made extra money this week:

- Last weekend we took a trip with my sister. We had a last minute change from Pokagon State Park to the South Bend area. When I book our Pokagon hotel, the state park was sold out of the kind of room we needed so I booked a local, chain hotel. The reviews were iffy but it mostly seemed that perhaps it was a little outdated. When I got on Friday night to double check about the swimming pool, I found that all the January reviews were horrific. They said things like "at least we didn't get bugs" or "we fled in the night, we couldn't make it until morning" and so we decided to cancel and change plans! Originally I was told I had waited too long to cancel and would have to pay the full amount of the room but the reviews were so scary I decided it was worth it. In the end, the hotel never did charge me so it was fine!

- We ended up going to the South Bend area. We wanted to still travel north as I was surprising Ananbeth with a day out with our friends who moved north last fall. Together we toured The History Museum and Oliver Mansion. This was $25 for the kids and me and it was AMAZING! The Oliver family left their family manion to the mueum and only took away their jewelry and parishable foods. The rest of the mansion stands, is decorated, etc just as the family left it. The kids and I love to tour old homes and this one is truly my favorite! Some of us also toured the Polish Worker's House. That was interesting as our guide and fellow guests were all Polish American and have very different family customs than we do as German Americans. 

- After we said good-bye to our friends, we drove a few miles to the Lydick Bog. This is one of the only bogs in Indiana. We enjoyed a great hour+ snow hike and plan to go back when we're in the area again. It would be neat to see in different seasons. 


Mr. O ALWAYS has to hike with a stick

- Sunday we toured Notre Dame's campus. Our Great-Uncle lived/worked at Notre Dame for much of our childhood so my sister and I have great memories of touring the campus with him and going to football games. We showed the kids the Golden Dome, Basilica of the Sacred Heart, and Touchdown Jesus. We also had lunch at the bookstore which was shockingly good, and affordable, and just $15 for the three of us. Not so frugal was the purchase of a Notre Dame souvenier for each kid and Mark. 

Notre Dame's Golden Dome

The view up from inside the dome

Touchdown Jesus!

- My sister and I once again traded clothes. I got 5 "new" items from her, she picked some from my pile, and we donated the rest. I love recycling my closet this way!

- We had a great week and I worked both my PaperPie and Magical Vacation Planner businesses. Mark worked more overtime than he's had for a while. We sure do miss him but are thankful for the way he serves our city selflessly.

We are looking to a busy weekend.

Happy Savings to All! 


No comments: