Friday, December 22, 2023

Frugal Friday 520

 Happy Frugal Friday!

Here's how we saved money/spent money wisely/made extra money this week:

- Friday night I enjoyed a Hallmark movie night at a friend's house. Four of us were there, we each brought snacks to keep it simple for the hostess. Her husband kindly treated us all to peppermint cocoa from Starbucks at the end of the movie. I took hot cooca cookies that the kids and I made and a cheeseball and crackers from my Mama's ladies group.

- Saturday morning I helped with our church Cookie Walk. I'm currently serving on the Children's Ministry Team and we took care of crafts and stories. The kids had made gingerbread houses the Sunday before and entered those in a fundraising contest. 


- The kids spent Friday night into Saturday at Mark's mom's house. She spoiled them with their favorite foods, games, and movies. 

- Our original Saturday evening plans were cancelled, so after dinner we check off "Drive around and look at Christmas lights" from Owen's holiday wishlist. I don't think it was quite as fun as he had hoped but we explored our neighborhood, the old downtown houses, and then drove through the Masonic Home light display. It was lovely and free!

- Sunday after church and Sunday School, Mark and Owen took Uncle Luke out to lunch to celebrate his completion of his Masters Degree. Annabeth had her final youth group of the year and enjoyed Mexican lunch and wrapping Christmas gifts from some families that the youth sponsored this holiday season.

- Monday morning we had our first snow of the season! I do think it snowed a few weeks ago while we were on vacation so this was our first snow sighting. We had to take a break from bookwork to run around in a bit. Just like I remember from my own school days, no one could sit still while snow was falling! 

- We took several books to a Little Free Library. I like to donate books to those, or share with our homeschool co-op, so people in our community can enjoy them for free vs having to buy secondhand.

- We had some small games and toys in my gift tote that didn't find a home with anyone else this year, we took them to a Little Free Pantry with a note for people to enjoy taking them if they still needed stocking stuffers or gifts for their children. 

- Yesterday morning a friend had on Facebook that she was looking for fresh cranberries. I had accidentally bought some last week so we were happy to drop them off at her doorstep. I love when God gives us just what we need to share!

- We spent the day yesterday in Charlestown with our best friends. We always try to kick off the Christmas season with Christmas together. I am so thankful for a lifetime best friend and pray our children will be best friends too!

As we look forward to Christmas, I pray that each of you know that this season isn't about fancy meals, presents, songs, silly sweaters, or anything except for the One who came for us all. He came, as a baby, lived a perfect life, and died that we might life. Forever. With Him. 


No comments: