Friday, October 4, 2024

Frugal Friday 554

 Happy Frugal Friday!

Here's how we saved money/spent money wisely/made extra money this week:

- The boys were scheduled to have a fall campout with Scouts this weekend so I quickly did a turnover of Owen's dresser from summer to fall. In doing so, I realized he had just three pairs of pants so I made a quick list for fall thrifting. In the end, Mark cancelled the campout due to the high winds and powerful rain that came through Friday evening with the hurricane. We were very glad he cancelled as it would have been very dangerous for them to be out in the woods, in tents. 

- We shopped the Kids Sale on Thursday after I realized O needed pants. I spent $22 on four pairs of pants for Owen.

- We shopped the Kids Sale again on Saturday with my sister-in-law. She drove down for it and since we hadn't seen each other for about three months I tagged along so we could catch up. Owen came along to entertain the baby and we managed to find some deals on 50% off day. We found two pairs of jeans for Annabeth (Loft and Banana Republic $10 for both), a top for me (Matilda Jane $5), and three shirts for Owen (Izod, North Face, and Abercrombie $9.50 for all) Not a bad haul for $27 with tax! 

- Sunday after church, Mark and Owen went out to Hendricks County to enjoy the afternoon there. They went to Downtown Comics, with a small budget, so Owen could choose some new comics. They also went to dinner and a movie. This is Mark's dream kind of day and he really enjoyed sharing it with Owen. 

Movie guys - they saw "The Wild Robot" in 3D

- While they were out and about, I volunteered with Annabeth's youth group and drove for their field trip. We went to visit several unique, beautiful churches in Columbus (IN). We toured First Christian Church which was designed by Eero Saarinen who designed the St. Louis Arch as well as First Baptist Church. It was wonderful to see the kids really engage with other churches, their traditions, and to examine architecture in their own ways. 

- I picked up our unsold items from the kids' sale. We will hold back some of the games and books for the spring sale. The clothes and some books, we took to our co-op on Thursday to share with families there. I put my sale check into savings. 

- The ladies I express tag for brought me back their extra wire hangers. I will reuse these for the spring sale. My friend Sarah also brought me a massive amount of them. Thank you all! This is a great help to me as it saves me from buying hangers out of pocket.  

- Our friends the Slaughter Family brought a HUGE bag of hand-me-downs to Owen. We were so appreciative - thank you! Some of the clothes did not work for Owen so we took the extras to our co-op to share. 

- Since the boys camping trip was cancelled last weekend, they changed plans and made arrangements to camp in November. It was a weekend that we had a night at hotel booked so we cancelled the hotel in favor of camping. Saved: $345

- After co-op yesterday, we went to Appleworks. We haven't been there in several years and the kids loved being back with friends. We packed along our lunch and Owen cashed in a ticket from Summer Reading for a free cup of animal food. 

- We wrapped up our Shelftember Challenge. We used up heaps of frozen fruits, veggies, and cuts of meats. I also made a point to use up the meals I had frozen over the summer. From the pantry I used up lots of open packages of pasta, quinoa, etc. I tried really hard to get partial items used up first and then really purposed to use the full ones next - all before shopping. 

We are looking forward to a busy, birthday weekend. This week we are especially thankful for the lives of Luke and Annabeth - we pray the Lord will bless them and keep them in their next years of life. 

Happy Savings to All! 


No comments: