Friday, May 11, 2018

Frugal Friday 244

Happy Frugal Friday!

Here is how we saved money/spent money wisely/made extra money this week:

- Last weekend the kids and I went to Owensboro for a long weekend to celebrate my Momaw's 88th birthday and the 144th Kentucky Derby. As always, we had a wonderful visit with family. We made the trip extra special by staying in a hotel with my sister. Annabeth loved swimming in the hotel pool and Owen loved watching the boats and barges go by on the river. We spent Sunday night in Evansville with my parents and the kids loved having a bonfire with Grandpa and going to the library and having lunch out with Grandmama-Mimi.

Derby Day 2018 in our special hats!

- We gave hand-me-downs from the kids to three different families over the past few weeks. One family we gave boy things to and they brought us some things for Annabeth. My sister and I also traded some clothes - I came out way ahead as she had a whole bag for me and I had just one shirt for her. 

- We grocery shopped for the week for around $70 as Mark was out of town so it was just the kids and I eating at home. We eat far less meat than Mark and only drink water so we always eat for cheap when he is working out of town. We also have quite a bit left over for the weekend/beginning of next week. 

- Wednesday morning I took the kids to a special Curious George storytime. They listened to a story and had fun making monkey crafts.

 My little monkeys were SO happy until....
a person in a Curious George costume came in the room...
Then Owen cried and cried.
"I so scared MomMom. Why he so scary?"
Poor Owen was, to quote him, "terrified"

- Yesterday, the kids and I spent the day down at the University of Louisville with our friends the Eblings to celebrate 10 years since my college graduation! I showed the kids my church on 4th Street, my apartment on 2nd Street, and then most of campus. Annabeth really enjoyed seeing the library and all of the caterpillars on the trees. Owen enjoyed the caterpillars as well. After our campus visit, I drove them over to see the football stadium which is MUCH bigger than when I was there. We also went to see Churchill Downs which they loved since we just watched the Derby on TV last Saturday. I had planned ahead and saved for this trip as we ate out, each got a shirt at the bookstore, and had to pay to park ($5) and for the toll bridge ($8) It was well worth the cost as we had a great day! 

We have had a lllllooonnnggg week with Mark gone at training and are SO excited to see him tonight! We are truly a family that is better together! :) 

Happy Savings to All! 

No comments: