Friday, January 12, 2024

Frugal Friday 522

 Happy Frugal Friday!

Here's how we saved money/spent money wisely/made extra money:

- Last Friday, the kids and I enjoyed a FREE day at the Eiteljorg Museum as we checked off the final item from our Christmas Bucket List "Jingle Rails." It was shockingly busy as more people were still on Christmas break than I realized. Thankfully, we had the free pass from the library so we can go again another time. The museum does validate parking which saved us $20. Over all, the day without the pass and validation would have been $64 - our cost - free. 

- We enjoyed several free meals this weeks thanks to generous Christmas gifts. My parents gifted us bean soup, dear friends of Mark's gifted us a DIY deep dish pizza kit, and my sister-in-law's parents sent over pulled pork and chips. Thank you all for gifts that helped our grocery budget this week!

- Friday into Saturday Owen and Mark had a lock-in with the Cub Scouts. Owen managed to stay up until 4:30 AM having a blast with his friends. They got home Saturday morning and went right to sleep.

- Annabeth entered her first art show at the library this year. She and I went on Saturday to see her piece and to see what other middle and high schoolers in our county had created. Annabeth, in true Annabeth fashion, voted for her friend Delaney's artwork vs her own for the "People's Choice Award." 

- Sunday night at youth group they did a White Elephant gift exchange. Annabeth took coloring supplies and a grown-up coloring book that was quite popular she said. She came home with some chapstick, new cup, and a new game. It was actually a game her cousins introduced her to last week and she loves! That was a fun surprise. 

- We took 30+ items to donate this week. Hooray for less stuff!

- We continued eating meals at home. We had three scheduled eat-out meals for the month but other than that we are eating at home for the month of January. Ironically, three meals out is MORE than normal but at least this is keeping us from impulse stopping for food. 

- The kids have had the BEST time building Legos, reading books, and enjoying all of their new Christmas gifts. I love that even when January is rainy and cold we always have plenty to do. 

Annabeth reading a new book from Christmas.
Oscar must have been tired - it made him yawn

- This week was grey and rainy all the way to sunny and 45 yesterday. We made a point of getting out and walking at least a mile each day. It makes such a difference in my mood when we have some fresh air and sunshine (or cold wind). Owen loves to ride his bike and happily heads out with me each day to ride. 

- I worked a TON this week as people are booking up their 2024 travels! Disney and Universal were hot places to book for spring vacations. Can I help you plan your 2024 trips? Let me know at a.riley@magicalvacationplanner.com

- Last night, my friend Crystal messaged about working a Southwest airline deal. I was SO thankful she helped me navigate editing our flights and we ended up with $178 in flight credit! I would have liked cash back but we'll hopefully find a way to use the flight credit in the future. I have only flown 1x in the past 15 years so I really appreciated the help learning a new skill - thank you! 

We are looking forward to a fun and busy weekend.

Happy Savings to All! 





No comments: