Friday, May 12, 2023

Frugal Friday 493

 Happy Frugal Friday!

Here's how we saved money/spent money wisely/made extra money this week:

- Last Friday after baseball we drove down to Evansville for the weekend. We stayed with my parents and skipped a hotel stay for Derby this year which saved us $500 compared to the same weekend last year. Hooray!

- Saturday we headed to Owensboro for my Momaw's 93rd birthday and Kentucky Derby. We had a great time with the family that was in town. For Momaw's birthday we decorated homemade sugar cookies with a Derby theme. 

Annabeth with her award-winning "Most Creative" hat
She made this carousel fascinator with items we had on hand.
We did spend $1 on the headband

- Derby Day is the one time a year that we gamble. We let each of the kids have $8 to bet with. They lost it all but the winners in the family were thrilled with their prizes! W, age 11, was this years big winner and he said he plans to save it.

- My sister traded me two big bags of clothes. I came away with about 10 new-to-me items for my closet. We took the rest, along with a bag of my items, to my friend Nicole whose beginning her first full-time job since having her children. Join me in praying for her as she begins working in a low-income school with students who desperately need the joy, laughter, and lessons she will bring them. 

- My sister-in-law brought clothes for Annabeth. Annabeth was thrilled with Disney and Harry Potter items as well as new church dresses. Some were not her style or did not fit so we passed those along to one of Annabeth's friends. 

- Mark has been back to work on his Etsy business and he's back with new bags repurposed from tents

- We had a busy, busy week with activities every evening. I made sure we had quick, easy meals on hand so we wouldn't be tempted to eat out. We had fridge pizza with tons of veggies on it along with fresh veggies on the side, pasta bake with veggies, nacho night, and chicken Alfredo.

- Owen had baseball games last Friday and Wednesday. He was thrilled that Nana came one night and our next-door neighbors came the other. Wednesday night he had a hit at both of his at-bats and also hit his first double!!

- This week Disney announced they will allow travel advisors like myself to begin booking for 2024 on May 31. I contacted my 2024 wait list people and hammered out some details so I am ready for launch day. Are you thinking about Disney next year? Let's talk soon! Message me at a.riley@magicalvacationplanner.com or on my Facebook business page 

We are looking forward to the kids' last regional dance competition this weekend as well as celebrating our wonderful mothers on Mother's Day!

Happy Savings to All! 



No comments: