Friday, January 1, 2021

Frugal Friday 375

 Happy Frugal Friday and Happy 2021!

Here is how we saved money/spent money wisely/made extra money this week:

- The kids and I had a very low key Christmas Eve and Christmas. We did go to Mark's parents' house for Christmas Eve dinner and gifts. Other than that we enjoyed the holiday at home. Mark worked the whole holiday weekend but we were able to sneak in a gift opening session for the kids in between work for him.

Christmas morning with their favorite gifts
Owen loved his Disney World Bus ($4 on clearance because it has "2020" on it) 
and Annabeth loves her Princess Tiana Doll ($5 on sale)
I love that Christmas doesn't have to be big or flashy for them to love it

Oscar Chase loves his new toys from his stocking

- I shop/craft alllll year to get ready for Christmas and to keep our spending fairly low for the holiday. I store all of those items in my closet so by December it gets a little crazy. I spent time on Saturday cleaning out and organizing all of the gifts we've already bought for "2nd Christmas." (The majority of BOTH sides of the family have birthdays between Jan 21 and April 27 so we call that 2nd Christmas) 

- During my closet cleanout I parted ways with over 15 clothing items. I try to do a big clean out at least once a quarter. My mom, sister, and I trade clothes regularly so these are often not items that I have actually purchased or been gifted but rather they are items we trade around. 

- We did not do a meal plan or grocery shop for the past two weeks. We ended up eating a lot of mismatched meals and leftovers which really stretched our grocery budget. I did make a quick trip Monday evening to buy $10 worth of baking items so we can make baked goods to give a family member for Christmas this weekend. Thank you to Mark's parents for sharing Christmas Eve leftovers which we ate over four meals! 

- We had a very simple week. We took down our Christmas decor, decorated with snow items for January, put away Christmas gifts, and did some cleaning. 

- We celebrated New Year's Eve with a sushi lunch (and quick "hello"to our friend Helen), afternoon at the park on the river/playground downtown for the kids/Dad/Lu, and then an evening of yummy snack foods and a Zoom call with Group.

We look forward to seeing what adventures come in 2021!

No comments: