Friday, January 22, 2021

Frugal Friday 378

 Happy Frugal Friday!

Here is how we saved money/spent money wisely/made extra money:

- I worked on my Usborne Books & More business. I am thankful to work for a company that year after year puts out such beautiful and relevant books. 

- When I posted our Christmas pictures a friend commented that she had looked at the same dress that Annabeth wore for her daughter. Her daughter is a few years younger so when we were done with Christmas clothes I mailed the dress with a little note as a surprise for them. I look forward to seeing her wear it during a future Christmas. 

- Saturday we surprised the kids with a trip to Disney on Ice. I had purchased the tickets in December, thanks to book lady money, but we put off telling the kids in case it was cancelled due to COVID. We surprised them with new Mickey and Minnie shirts and they just loved it! We had the best time and were especially impressed with this year's show. Owen loved the Coco portion and Annabeth loved getting to see Princess Jasmine and Tiana - her favorites. We did not purchase souvenirs or concessions. We make a lot of frugal choices so we can do big things every now and then too.


- Sunday we had lunch at Mark's parents' house. They watched the kids for us while we ran out for a bit on an errand. We all really enjoyed playing with my nephew, he's nearly two and just at the best age! 

- Mark did a massive closet cleanout on Monday. We took two large bags of clothes to donate.

- Tuesday evening we went to visit Mark's brother and his family. They welcome our newest niece last week and we were very excited to visit with them. I knew that her family was making many dinners/freezer meals for them so we stopped at the store and grabbed some fun snack foods/drinks. I know I always liked having quick things on hand for busy lunches. 

- I found a good deal on some outerwear so we donated it to the Pink House Little Free Pantry. We hope it helps keep a friend there warm this cold week.

- We continued our no-spend-January with just a little $10 hiccup as Annabeth had worn through the knees of all of her leggings. It was worth the money to stock her in new leggings to get through the rest of winter.

- This week was the first week of my new grocery plan. Especially with COVID restrictions, the grocery is one of the only places that we go so I have really enjoyed it this year. I love couponing, shopping sales, and walking the aisles but in the past few months we our grocery bill has slowly been creeping up and up. I know it's due to impulse buying at the store. This week I switched to pick-up. I was able to stay below budget, earn nearly $5 back through Ibotta, and even got an upgrade on laundry detergent as they didn't have the size I wanted so I got 15 loads free.

- I had ordered a dresser for Annabeth and when it finally arrived it was terribly damaged. The company shipped me a new one and is allowing us to keep the other. It is scratched and the corners are dinged up but we can still assemble it. Mark plans to use it for garage organization. 

We are looking forward to the weekend and time together as a family.

Happy Savings to All!

2 comments:

Abbi said...

Disney on Ice sounds like fun! It is nice to live frugally so you can do fun things like that. Living frugally doesn't mean that we can't do anything - it just means that we control our money rather than it getting to control us. I enjoyed reading through what you did this past week.

Amy Riley said...

I love that reminder "Control our money so it doesn't control us"
We find that we always do better when we have a specific savings goal in mind - something we are working towards. We've set a big goal for this year and that's helping me say "no" to more things.
Thank YOU for all of your posts about frugal living. You are such an encouragement.