Thursday, May 10, 2018

It's Been 10 Years Since my College Graduation!

10 years ago I graduated from the University of Louisville.
It is hard to believe it's been that long! I will forever be grateful for my three years at UofL and for the friendships and lessons gained and learned while there.
I actually finished my last class during the summer term so I didn't go to graduation. I was already working at Camp Lakeview for the summer and when I got back from my last final they surprised me with a cap and gown from the dress-up closet. The campers all sang the graduation song as I walked across the dining room for my Silly Song Songbook diploma. It was perfect! :)

I had always wanted to go to a small, Christian college and yet, at 17 when we pulled onto the Louisville campus, I knew it was "it." I had been praying over my college decision for many years and one day my Mama said, "UofL has music therapy. Let's go look" And so we did and it was just right for me. Looking back, I know that was completely a God thing because nothing about the big city, big campus, or student population was comfortable for me and yet it felt totally okay. I am thankful for the peace I had going into it since Music School ended up not being where I landed.

Me, at 20.
My favorite picture of just me from college.

I spent my first two years living in Threlkeld Hall and playing in the marching band and pep band. I am forever thankful for the places I went and the people I got to meet while playing with the bands. I was paid to enjoy volleyball, basketball, and football. I visited Omaha and Nashville for tournaments. I spent two New Years in Florida, one on the beach in Miami. I played in front of a sold-out crowd at Madison Square Garden. It was so incredible!

Marching Band - Cheering on the CARDS at Papa John's Cardinal Stadium
Louisville, KY - Fall 2005
Pep Band - Cheering on the CARDS at Madison Square Garden
New York City - Spring 2006

Daniel lived in the dorm across the parking lot so all it took
was a text to get him to meet me for sushi/Chinese at the "Crack House"
Winter 2007 

 Leah and me, ready to head out to some boring contemporary dance show
but we looked beautiful and had so much fun together!
Spring 2007

 My last finals study session in the dorms
"Cities in the U.S."  was actually a fantastic class,
I had just momentarily forgotten to love Chicago and skyscrapers.
Spring 2007

 My third year, I had the fun of moving off campus and living in an apartment in one of the old houses in historic Louisville. Leah and I binge watched "Gilmore Girls" before binge watching was even a thing. We also took tons of walks through Old Louisville and I am so thankful that I slowed down to enjoy my time in the city. I also earned a spot in the Honors National Seminar and spent a week in San Fransisco at the end of the year - a graduation gift to myself.

Daniel, me, and Mark in the living room of the best apartment ever!
Winter 2007

During my time at UofL, I was loved on by many and couldn't have survived without Leah, Daniel, Chris, and Brittany. Leah was the most incredible roommate seeing me through the very worst year of my life following the death of dear friend. She truly taught me about unconditional love. I was spoiled by having my best friend Rose just across the river for the last two years and our Thursday night dates kept me going! I was well taken care of by the members of 4th Ave United Methodist Church as they were my college-church-home.

Me and Leah the week of my 21st Birthday.
From the night she knocked on my dorm room door to ask me on a walk, through
two of the toughest years of our lives, and through my graduation she was part of nearly
every moment. The next summer we would be in each other's wedding
and remain friends for a lifetime. 
Dear Leah, I love you. Love, Mojo
Winter 2008

Rose and I met at Lakeview in high school and were so fortunate
to spend our college years at Lakeview in the summers and the Louisville area
during the school year. I am so thankful for 15 years of friendship with this gal!
Spring 2007

My three years at UofL were filled with so much love and so much fun! I loved late night walks around the track, "Gilmore Girls" marathons, walks through Old Louisville, 500 Papa Johns breadsticks on my meal card, some hard/tough lessons about "Christian" friendships, and a real development of the person that I would be as an adult.

Thank you UofL and the Class of 2008 for the memories!

No comments: