Tuesday, July 23, 2019

MY Top 5 Items to Donate to Food Pantries

Yesterday the kids and I took a big stack of egg cartons to a local food pantry. A friend, thanks Brittany, had shared a post from this pantry saying that they had received a huge donation of eggs but they didn't have a way for the people to get the eggs home. Mark had been saving egg cartons on top of our fridge for months - why? who knows - but I took our huge stack to a very thankful food pantry staff.

In every city I have lived in, I've always served at food pantries. My parents, our churches took us when we were young and I've always felt such a pull to feeding people. How can children play and learn with empty bellies? How can adults work and be healthy without proper food? The simple answer: they can't.

In volunteering I've really honed in on what our family likes to donate.
Here are our Top 5 Suggestions for Donations:

Special Diet Foods
I search clearance bins high and low for special diet items - gluten free, sugar free, nut free, dairy free, etc and donate them anytime I can. I be sure to label that donation bag(s) with something like "These are ALL DAIRY FREE please hand-out to families who have that special dietary need" As a family that has many kids in our family who need special diets, I know just how expensive it can be to purchase specials snacks, flour, etc. I feel like buying these foods and donating them allows families in need to have food items that are safe for all members of their home.

Hygiene Items
I always hit the Dollar Tree for name brand toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, soaps, etc. I also watch clearance sections for higher dollar items like femine hygiene products, acne facewash, and specialty creams for skin conditions like eczema. Most of the items I have listed are considered luxuries for people striving to just buy food. I cannot imagine having to choose between toothpaste and food for my family and yet others make that hard choice each day.

Birthday Items
I LOVE to donate birthday cake mixes, frosting, decorations, and even birthday candles. I know for many families I've met at pantries birthday desserts are often passed over as the family tries to get together a small gift for the child. I remember one mom crying when we were able to give her strawberry cake and frosting for her daughter's birthday. Her daughter was in elementary school and it was going to be her first birthday cake! The mom had always chosen to spend that little bit of money on a small toy for her daughter. That moment in college sealed the deal for me to always try to keep special occasion items available in the pantries I've served with.

Check the Pantry's Wishlist
Call ahead or check online before you donate! Some pantries I have served at love getting boxed mac and cheese or tuna helper because they also give out milk and eggs and their clients have access to a stove top to make those items. Other pantries have served mostly clients who are living in hotels, motels, or shelters and they need the just add water cups that can be microwaved. Knowing what the pantry is asking for will help you better understand and serve their clients.

Use What You Have
I know many people don't have wiggle room in their own family's shopping budget but making little changes can make a huge difference to others! For example, our family is always swimming in candy following Halloween, Christmas, and Easter. We make little snack baggies with pieces of small candy and donate them to the Meal Bags at the Church of God in Franklin. Another time a family member was given a ton of Panera Bread leftovers following a meeting. We bagged them up, labeled them, and were able to bless a ton of families at our church's food pantry that week.

I am thankful to be in a position to buy food for our family. When we first married our total grocery budget for the month (food, toiletries, household items) was $125. Our budget has grown some over the years and in turn so has our ability to bless others! I hope posts like this encourage you to give more!




No comments: