Friday, May 8, 2020

Frugal Friday 343

Happy Frugal Friday!

Here is how we saved money, made extra money, and spent money wisely:

- Last Friday was our last day of school. We usually treat the kids to dinner out. This was my family's last day of school tradition and I love letting the kids pick where ever they want to eat. Since restaurants are still closed we did a McDonald's picnic in our yard.

- Saturday morning the kids enjoyed Music Class with Miss Becky from church via phone chat. She is SO incredible. She calls ALL of the children in our church and plays/sings several songs with them each week. It has been such a blessing for our children to connect with our church family in this way. We still enjoy Children's Time and Sermons via YouTube but this way we can actually interact with them.

- Sunday morning Mark took advantage of a free fishing day and fished at Atterbury. I often view Mark's time at work as "time off" since he's not home (my workplace) and I also often make the mistake of forgetting that his job is taxing and stressful even on the best days. I am trying to be better about allowing him time on his own.

- That morning I cleaned out my closet. I was able to part with many items. Most went into a bag to trade with my sister and three were listed for sale online. They aren't her style and are boutique brands so I may be able to sell.

- Monday morning the kids and I deep cleaned and move furniture in three rooms - Annabeth's, Owen's, and for the first time since moving in the living room. Mark and I had moved a chair around one night and then I just kept moving things until I got it how I kind of like it. I LOVE our open floor plan and would never want to go back to the separate rooms like we had at our old house but it has made arranging furniture a challenge for me.

- Monday our libraries opened for curbside pick up!!! We returned our three huge bags of books that we've had for six weeks and got one new bag! Of all the places we wanted to open our library was #1! We were SO excited to see our friend Miss Kalen when we picked up books. We picked up another bag of books on Wednesday.

- Our friends the Evans family have loaned us a bike for Annabeth for the summer. They dropped it off over the weekend and Annabeth has already logged many hours riding. Thank you!

- We are debating using potty pads for some puppy potty training. My friend Cindy had a whole pack of extra ones and let us have them. Thank you Cindy!

- Tuesday morning I did a big School Room clean-out. Again. I think I just did this a few weeks ago but we use our school room HARD and it needs a good clean very often.

- We cleaned out the kitchen before the new stove came and parted ways with our tea kettle and spice rack. I never use either and just move them to dust them over and over. It was time for them to leave.

- When Annabeth cleaned out her room, she chose to part ways with many trophies and medals from dance and gymnastics. The next day, our studio posted a request for trophies to gift to the recreational students. Annabeth was very happy to be able to donate them locally. We usually ship to https://www.awardsmall.com/ for donation and/or recycling.

Since we were without a stove or oven for a bit, thought I would share what we did for food with our crockpots and breadmakers. I did not cook breakfasts and we just did fruit, yogurt, cereal, and bar choices. Lunch was sandwich choices with fresh fruits/veggies and chips a few days as a treat or leftovers heated in the crockpot. Dinners I made: Hot Dogs and baked beans, chili, tortellini alfredo and Italian bread in the bread maker, beef strew with the remaining Italian bread, and Greek Chicken Orzo.

- My sister came to visit starting on Wednesday. We have not seen her since February and it was really lovely to have her here! Yesterday she took the kids out on an adventure and I was able to do my usual Thursday cleaning ALONE! Bonus was the kids had a great time as well!

Hiking by the river.
They found SO many neat shells, rocks, and even some antique treasures.

- Last night Annabeth's friend came over to ride bikes. They didn't actually play together to stay socially distant but they did ride bikes and talk. I had a great talk with my friend and my sister. Jeanette also brought us duck eggs - thank you!

We are looking forward to a good weekend and to celebrating our moms for Mother's Day!

Happy Savings to All!


No comments: