Friday, May 1, 2020

Frugal Friday 342

Happy Frugal Friday!

Here is how we saved money/spent money wisely/made extra money this week:

- We had purchased the dog food we thought the breeder had been feeding Oscar. It turned out that she had sent a different name than the sample bag they provided and Oscar refused to eat it. We gave it a few days to see if he was just adjusting to our home but when we fed him from their sample bag he ate the whole serving. Mark bought the preferred kind and we donated the rest of the other to the Humane Society. We didn't love spending the extra money but were happy to not put the other to waste.

- I ran a fundraiser for the Pink House Little Free Pantry. We were able to donate some great meal bags to this little free pantry to help them stock their shelves. We were happy to support our friend Heather and such a great cause. Supporters purchased Cards for a Cause boxes which arrived last night. We will deliver them this weekend and people will be able to write cards to their loved ones.

- Monday I messaged a friend about dropping off a present for her birthday. She ended up surprising me by stopping by to pick it up and bringing me a smoothie in the process! We had a great chat on the back porch and it took everything in me not to say, "Please stay for hours!" Thanks Jeanette!

- Monday night I went to cook dinner and while my fries were baking it seemed like my meat was taking a while to brown. It was. The stove-top had gone out sometime between lunch and dinner. When Mark got home, he quickly cooked up the meat on the grill and then went to work on the stove. Mark worked and worked and read and watched videos and it was apparently NONE of the common/easy fixes. He took it apart and looked at other things he thought it might be and nothing was becoming an obvious problem. We turned the oven on to test it and it had gone out as well leading us to think it was a computer type issue aka super expensive. Ultimately, we shopped a sale (10% off) and simply purchased a new one. We have had this one over ten years as it was new in our first house and we replaced all of the inner parts of the oven last fall. We'll remove those newer oven parts to keep in case our new one ever breaks.

I love to watch Mark help the kids learn 
via hands on experience

- The rest of the week was like Ultimate Quarantine Cooking Challenge. The first night, I did order Door Dash (for the first time and used a coupon and a free delivery deal) and the kids and I enjoyed Chicago's Pizza. Other than that, we made due with what we had on hand and enjoyed creative meals. Our new range will arrive at the end of next week at the earliest.

- Wednesday night we had grilled hot dogs and baked beans from the crock pot. After dinner Mark cooked up a pound of hamburger on the grill and I added it to crock pot chili last night. Today we will have left overs.

- Most of our week was spent helping Oscar feel more and more at home with us. I did lots of laundry and mopping as I tried to stay ahead of muddy paws on the floors. I forgot about the challenge of puppy training in the mud!

My three favorite little faces

We are looking forward to another nice, slow weekend. Mark will be working but the kids and I plan to work some new puzzles and to work on training Oscar to sit.

Happy Savings to All!

2 comments:

Abbi said...

Your new dog looks sweet. Sorry to hear your old stove went bad but I hope you enjoy your new one.

Amy Riley said...

Thank you! We only had the stove 10 years but I cook 2 (often 3) meals a day on it so I know that we had used it VERY well. We are looking forward to it arriving later in the week.