Friday, April 24, 2020

Frugal Friday 341

Happy Frugal Friday!

Here is how we saved money/spent money wisely/made extra money this week:

- Like many Americans, we received our COVID-19 stimulus check. We made the decision to prepay many things upcoming in the year. We were able to pay ahead everything that we had in the foreseeable future and we added the rest to our savings.

- The kids were surprised on Saturday by a HUGE package from my sister. She sent them an amazing science kit with binoculars, telescope, and microscope! They have had a ton of fun looking at things in a whole new way. Thank you Aunt Lu!

 Science Class with Dad
Examining blood through their microscope

- I did our grocery trip. I did spend an extra $5 in fun items to the cart - new markers and new bubbles. I really like for the kids to have great supplies on hand to imagine and create with. I did earn back $3.10 with Ibotta so I feel like I only really spend $1.90 on those items.

- I shopped for some items and instead of buying through a big box store or Amazon I purchased from Etsy and a local crafter. I purchased doggie bandanas from PawsomePetCreations1 on Etsy and a handmade sign from my friend Katelyn at No Strings Attached.

- We ordered our fresh produce through Imperfect  and are happy to help create less food waste in our world.

- The kids and I did a big school room record purge. I had kept every school book that the kids have completed and am just running out of room. After consulting HSDLA, I kept only the records they suggested.

- The kids continued to enjoy a few classes online. Annabeth has been taking her dance classes online through Facebook. Together the kids enjoyed a Dino Camp thanks to fellow Book Lady Audrey. Thank you Audrey!

- Wednesday night I let the kids eat Lunchables during Hour 5 outside as their dinner. Then I made burgers and baked veggies (Thanks Hello Fresh!) for Mark and myself. We had dinner on the back porch while the kids watched their show for the day. It was lovely to be "alone on a date."

- Yesterday we purchased our beef for the spring from our friends at Burgett Family Farm. We purchase half a pig in the fall and our ground beef in the spring. This is 90% of our meat for the year. We realize that we are incredibly fortunate to be able to save ahead for these meat purchases. I only cook with meat a few days a week. We have lots of meat-free meals to help save money and resources.

- In case you don't follow me on Facebook or Instagram, here is our most exciting news - we have a puppy! Please meet Oscar a three month old Ocherese! We had been looking for quite some time and talking with several rescues across the state waiting for a pup that neither Annabeth or I are allergic to. I kept hearing the same thing that they rarely come in and become available for adoption. Over the past few months there have been two, both older/sick and with descriptions like "I need peace and quiet" I knew we were the wrong family for them. Finally, Mark and I decided to contact THE Ocherese lady to put our name on her waitlist. As God would have it, she had puppies left from her winter litter as people have been sheltering in place and not getting puppies. Saturday we drove to Loveable Companions in Ferdinand and surprised the kids with a pup. They had NO idea that we were doing it and they are SO excited! Oscar is a phenomenal puppy! He came to us nearly kennel trained so he happily goes in when asked, sleeps most of the night, doesn't whine, and is very gentle. We really feel so blessed to call him ours!
Oscar Chase

Our first picture as a family of five

We had a busy week filled with finishing lots of school books and snuggling with Oscar.
We are looking forward to a weekend of more of the same.

No comments: