Friday, April 3, 2020

Happy Frugal Friday 338

Happy Frugal Friday!

Here is how we saved money/spent money wisely/made extra money this week:

(We stayed home all week and did not spend any money so I think I'll just share how we've been enjoying each day of Shelter-In-Place)

Friday: Last Friday was hard. It was the first day of this that I wasn't sure I could make it. I had the stomach bug last week so I was worn down, tired and then it rained aaallll day. We did finish out our school week and the kids enjoyed an online dance class from Annabeth's dance studio as well as a pilates class with our friend Miss Laurel. We did simple breakfast for dinner (eggs with cheese, homemade breakfast potatoes, and fresh fruit) The kids went out after dinner for some fresh air.

Saturday: Saturday was lovely! We slowly started our day with the back door and windows open as it was SO warm and nice! We went outside at 10 and stayed out until dinner. We took walks, waved to neighbors, colored with chalk, worked on garage projects, rode scooters, saw more friends and neighbors, and Mark and Annabeth got a great start on one of her 4H projects. The kids also received a special FaceTime phone call from their church music teacher Miss Becky and they were able to sing with her over the phone and learn some new songs. I really enjoyed our "Toddler Lunch" in the garage - cheese-its with choice of protein, apples, and strawberries. It was like one of the lovely, long slow summer days that we used to have before the kids got into so many activities. We had a great dinner - pork chops, sweet potato casserole, green beans, and rolls. The rain really rolled in after dinner so we watched the new Lady and the Tramp movie before bed.


Sunday: We woke up and enjoyed church online. It was difficult for the kids to listen/watch a sermon online but we hung in there. We were dressed and outside for the day by 10. Mark did the first mow and trim of the lawn for the year. The kids rode scooters, rode the ATV, made chalk pictures, waved at neighbors, etc. We were outside almost all day until dinner. We did take a bit of a break and drove to take the paper and cardboard recycling and also did porch, no-contact, delivery of some books to book customers. After dinner we went outside almost until bedtime. I enjoyed a nice, long phone call with my Momaw as well.

Monday:  Monday we woke up and did our usual school day. After lunch, the kids headed out back to play. I was able to work for about 45 minutes in the kitchen and living room. We swapped yards and went out front to ride scooters and the ATV. We took a walk. Then we came back and made a mega-Mexican dinner at home. Annabeth has specifically mentioned wanting to eat out at our favorite Mexican place several times so Mark got everything to surprise her at home. I made homemade Mexican rice (thank you to Cynthia for teaching me), Mark made homemade queso, and we also had chips and tacos. After dinner and clean up we went back outside until bedtime.

Tuesday:  This was a ROUGH day. We had a hard time getting school and chores down. It was cold and windy so our outdoor time was minimal. We did have the fun of video-chatting with my brother-in-law and sister-in-law and my one year old nephew. The kids loved watching their cousin play. Mark did some volunteer work on Tuesday evening so the kids and I had freezer pizza and ice cream for movie night dinner. I did learn to make a Matcha Tea Smoothie for Mark as he occasionally stops at Starbucks for that but our stores are closing soon.

Wednesday: Woke up, vowed to have a better day than Tuesday, and made Mark his Matcha smoothie. Annabeth and I made our family Easter cards. We did our typical school day, read aloud one hour, and spent two hours outside. Then I surprised the kids with a Zoom with their homeschool group. They were SO excited to see their friends. I made quiche for dinner - I used to make it ALL the time at our old house so it was fun to make and talk about old times during dinner. We saved quite a bit of money this day as Mark had free lunch from Greek's Pizzara and the kids and I finished all the leftovers in the fridge. We also surprised the kids with an ice cream cake (shockingly Anna-Safe!) from the grocery made by Friendly's and Crayola where you decorate it with sprinkles and icing. We have never found a safe ice cream cake before and the kids LOVED it! They were so excited to decorate it and then they loved eating it. That was a real mood booster for our week.

Ice cream cake decorators


Thursday:  This was pretty much a repeat of Wednesday. Annabeth especially enjoyed a long Zoom chat with one of her best friends, Audrey. She also took two online dance classes. Mark had a porch delivery to make to a friend after dinner so he and Owen went out for a drive. Annabeth and I stayed home and had girls' night. Annabeth chose to paint nails.

We had a good week at home. I told my best friend this week that I feel like I am on a roller-coaster! Some moments I feel so cool, calm, and collected and other moments I feel like nothing is in my control. In this season, I am so thankful to be a servant of God. I am thankful to serve the One who created us all and Who does have this all under control.

Happy Savings to All!



1 comment:

Abbi said...

This staying isolated isn't always easy, is it? Glad to hear you are hanging in there and have had some fun days.