Friday, March 27, 2020

Frugal Friday 337

Happy Frugal Friday!

Here is how we saved money/spent money wisely/made extra money this week:

- We hosted my parents last weekend for my Mama's birthday. We hadn't gotten together in a month and a half so it was wonderful to have three days with them! We handmade cards and got my Mama a giftcard to enjoy an experience together in the future.

- We enjoyed LOTS of walks in the neighborhood and my parents even took the kids on a bit of a walk through a park. They did not encounter other people so were still socially distant.

- While we usually eat out with company - we ate our meals at home. Pork chops/baked veggies, pizza at home, homemade pretzels, and more. I know many are encouraging people to get delivery or take-out but I feel like perhaps that goes against the goal of social distancing as I worry what would happen if the person preparing the food is sick. That could infect a great deal of people.

- I have purposefully not added video or game subscriptions to our school day as I prefer book work, handwriting, and face-to-face interactions for our school BUT this week we did enjoy a few online classes with friends. We enjoyed Disney Sing-Alongs with a friend from college and Pilates for kids with Miss Laurel who was Annabeth's dance teacher from ages 1-2.

- I saw a fun post on Facebook with the address of James Dean (Pete the Cat author not the dead actor) and Owen took the time to write Pete a letter. He was so excited to put it in the mailbox!

Friends Forever
Owen + Pete

- We stayed home all week, obviously, and just really settled into a new routine. I realize we are so much more fortunate than most in that Mark is still working his usual hours and that I am already used to being home with the kids without breaks. Our daily life is not different but the evenings have been GLORIOUS! It has been years since we have been home in the evenings as dance runs year round. It's been really nice to take our time with school, to take more breaks than usual, and then to have long, slow evenings outside in the sunshine.

- Wednesday night Owen and I went for a walk, Mark worked on a garage project, and Annabeth LOVED having the house all to herself. While on our walk, Owen and I heard some saxophone music. We walked until we found it and were delighted to find a neighbor playing praise music from his garage. It was SO beautiful to hear someone sharing music filled with grace and hope.

- We did not spend any money this week. We did use resources (electric, water, food from home) but worked VERY diligently to use them only as needed. I am excited to track how much money we are able to save during this time without any temptations to shop, eat out, or pick up food/coffee.

We are looking forward to a weekend of being together. Mark is on call but hopefully will not make many runs. 

No comments: