Friday, December 9, 2022

Frugal Friday 471

 Happy Frugal Friday!

Here's how we saved money/spent money wisely/made extra money this week:

- Saturday Annabeth and I headed to the library for an American Girl Holiday. The event ended up being cancelled but she enjoyed some board games with friends while I had a long chat with a dear friend. God knows best and gave us just what we each needed. The boys did some browsing, without buying, at an antique mall. They did enjoy breakfast out and purchased Annabeth's Christmas gift from Owen.

- Saturday evening we went to the Courthouse Lighting. Our little town is basically a Hallmark Movie town. We browsed some local shops and then walked downtown, stopping to chat with friends. It was a beautiful, clear night and we had a great time.


- Sunday evening we had the Rileys over for dinner. We made a big feast, even person at our house chose a menu item, we had ham and turkey, corn casserole, green bean casserole, and rolls. The little kids provided plenty of entertainment - I love filling our house with people.

- Monday afternoon Christmas came early. My parents are renovating their house and have gifted us the piano from their house. My kids will be the 4th generation to learn to play on it which is so incredibly special to me. I always make time to play when I go visit and it's been wonderful having it here already! For now, I am teaching the kids lessons each day after school. We may eventually graduate to paying a teacher but for now everyone is listening well and practicing their assignments. 

I love the light up tree. It's a family heirloom and this is the first year I have been 
brave enough to put it out since Annabeth was a toddler.
The Joy to the World globe was a special order from my friend's shop 

- The week of Thanksgiving we sat down with the kids and made a Christmas Bucket List. Because we live away from much of our family and because Mark often works the holidays, our Christmas season always looks different. I wanted to make sure that we checked off all of the "must do" items on the kids' lists. I was very glad I asked as they didn't even mention some things I thought they would have to do. They came up with 10 items so we're going to make them happen in December! 

- Tuesday we checked off "Make Christmas Tree Cookies"  The sugar cookies were free as our church gave the kids little Advent kits that included the cookie mix and I had clearance Christmas sprinkles from last year that I had saved.

The little mix was perfect - each kid got to make
and eat 3 cookies. Just the right amount for the week

- Wednesday we had a busy day of appointments so we did not do book work. Instead, the kids made gingerbread houses in the afternoon. I know that we could make some from scratch but it is a rare treat for Annabeth to have store bought items that are safe for her and she really wanted this fun, pink LOL Doll version. I waited until the kits were 20% off and we were able to get both for $17. The kids had a great time!

LOL Doll House


Owen's Puppy and Dog House

- Last night I enjoyed an evening out with the Ladies from our co-op. We each brought a dish to share and fellowshipped while making glass ornaments. It was a lovely evening out with a great message about finding peace. 

We had a busy, fun week! I'm trying to make the most of all of the free holiday fun that the kids chose for our December.

Happy Savings to All! 




No comments: