Wednesday, January 31, 2018

When I Write About Homeschooling...

Our family belongs to the Indiana Association and Home Educators and thanks to homeschool friends across the state, and this little blog, I am often asked about homeschooling.

I always hesitate.

When I write about homeschooling, like this post from last week, friends who homeschool always seem to click "like" or comment or send messages or all of those things. But other parents who don't, some of whom I would consider close friends, like to push back.

When I write about homeschool I am NOT...
- saying that it's the only way to effectively school children or to raise children
- saying that it's right and everything else is wrong
- judging how any other family is raising their children
- trying to boast or brag about our family's decisions

When I write about homeschool I AM...
- trying to share snippets about how we school and raise our children
- saying that it's right for us, right now
- hoping to encourage others who are currently, or who want to, homeschool
- sharing my family's decisions

We, like all parents, don't fit into any one category.
- I get made fun of often amongst homeschool friends because we have a dedicated school room, Annabeth works at a chair and table, we have set school hours, and we buy cirriculum.
- Annabeth still attends special events at our local public school and has specifically enjoyed the cheer camps at our local high school. Our whole family loves going to the games.
- Nearly all of our out-of-the-house activities have nothing to do with homeschool or homeschool families - dance, 4h, church, etc. Very few of Annabeth's friends, and thus very few of our adult friends, belong to homeschool families.

Life at Riley Family School is our current season of life. We are loving this season and I never stop being thankful that we have found a way to live that works for us. I firmly believe that any family with a desire to homeschool could accomplish that goal but also know that it is not the desire of everyone. I love hearing about what my friend's kids are doing and learning at school - whether that be at home, church school, public school, Montessori school, etc. I love learning and am not afraid to have encouragement or ideas come from anywhere! I do not think that I am a better parent or more involved parent or more dedicated parent than any other. This is the life I have chosen to live because it works for Annabeth and Owen not because it's easy or perfect or for everyone else - it's for us.

That's why I write about homeschooling - because I write about us.

I love spending all day with this goofy guy and his big sister. 



No comments: