Friday, January 4, 2019

Frugal Friday 277

Happy Frugal Friday!

Here is how we saved money/spent money wisely/made extra money this week:

- Last Friday we headed down to Evansville to celebrate Christmas with my family. My parents surprised Mark and I and kept the kids for us Friday evening! We were able to sneak out to dinner (our third date this year!!) and a little trip to Target for an item to help my Momaw with a house project.

- Saturday we had a lovely "Christmas" morning at my parents with the family. Everyone headed out to the zoo to enjoy another free day on our pass and then...the stomach fly hit. Hard. SO hard. Owen had it before we went south but seemed better so we had gone on down a few days after that. But it seems it was still contagious - it went through Annabeth, me, Mark, my sister, and then my dad. It meant we cancelled all the rest of our Evansville plans and just spent three days at my parents' house. The good news is we did recover enough to make it home for Mark to work on Wednesday. It really took until last night for all of us to feel well again.

Sick Day, Movie Day at Grandmama and Grandpa's House
My sister and I used to lay on the couch just like that when we were little

- I saw a long thread on a Mom's Facebook Page this week about what people spend at the grocery. Our family of four spends far less than most families, a fact I was aware of, but I was shocked that most people spend more on groceries than we spend on our mortgage each month! Whew! I am thankful that we shop many affordable stores, coupon, and still eat healthy and filling meals.

- We each received many gift cards for Christmas. Thank you to everyone who gave us one. We have saved all of them but did allow the children to each spend one at Target on anything they wished. I want my children to save money and spend money wisely but I also like to see them enjoy spending it a bit every now and then as well. We will save the rest for a time when they have something that they very much want.

- I listed many of Annabeth's dance and boutique items on Facebook for sale. I sold a good deal of what I listed. Made: $85 profit (less shipping prices)

- Yesterday morning I woke up very motivated, for the first time since getting the stomach bug, and did a massive closet overhaul! I took every item out of my closet and spent 2.5 hours going through everything. It was a ton of work but so worth it! I also pulled clothes to send/sell at ThredUP. I don't make very much with them but it seemed like a good time to do it as we're saving up for a few trips this year.

Before.
It's not always this crazy but post Christmas/sickness it hadn't
even been straightened for a week or more. 

I pulled nearly everything out!
I always pull my clothes out twice a year but don't always do the floor too
The totes on top are my gift totes and were organized when I wrapped gifts a few weeks ago. 

After!
(Yes, I still have too many clothes and bags but these all sparked joy
so they stayed! I did part with 30 items)
The totes on the left are four wrapping totes, a music tote in the middle,
and then some special handmade items stored in the tote on the right

- I scored a sweet Lego deal on Groupon. I was was able to get a $50 gift certificate for just $10 out of pocket. I also earned 6% cashback through Ebates! I am hoping it will be a win for our nephew's 7th birthday later this month. 

We hope you all had a happy and healthy New Years!
Happy Savings to All!


No comments: