Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Christmas Jar Challenge

A few weeks ago, a movie ad popped up on my Facebook newsfeed. It looked like one of those feel good Christmas movies that I like to watch while baking cookies. Mid-way through the ad it mentioned "based on the best selling novel..." which prompted me to reserve both the book and sequel at my local library.

I finished the first book Christmas Jars, by Jason F Wright, yesterday. I was teary eyed, moved by the beautiful story of how one family's jar of change that created a real change in people's lives. I promptly stood up, found a Ball jar, and emptied the change in my wallet into the jar. I wrote Acts 20:35 across the top. A few hours later, still feeling that Christmas spirit, I set up a cute photo for Facebook hoping to share some joy and encourage others to enjoy the novel.



Today, in a squeezed in quiet moment, I began the sequel Christmas Jars Reunion because I was in such a hurry to revisit the beautiful writing of Wright and the world of Hope Jensen. The sequel, so far, is perhaps even more moving than the first book. The more I read, the more I wanted to create my own Christmas Jar movement - so, here I am.

What is a Christmas Jar?

According to Wright's novel, it's any kind of jar you have around. You fill it with change beginning as soon after Christmas as you can. The change you get at the grocery, coffee shop, or lunch line always goes straight in the jar when you get home. Then, the next Christmas you gift the jar to someone who needs it. A stranger, a homeless woman, a widower, a loved one, whoever the Spirit moves you to share with.

As I've been praying over this project and pondering who I might share a jar with it occurred to me that I have many people in my life who might benefit from a surprise jar of money - a widow who will celebrate her first Christmas just her and her young children, a family facing mountains of medical bills, a friend who is fostering children, etc 

And so, dear blog friends, I challenge you to get a jar and start it TODAY.
Not after Christmas, not when you have extra, not when you have time, but right.now. 
The point is not the amount of money in the jar but the statement of "I see you. I value you. I care for you."

How many people can we bless? How many people will we choose to SEE this Christmas season? 

No comments: