Friday, November 8, 2019

Frugal Friday 317

Happy Frugal Friday!

Here is how we saved money/made extra money/spent our money wisely:

- Mark worked overtime and I worked my Usborne Books & More business and Mark worked overtime.

- On Halloween, the kids and I drove down to Evansville. We enjoyed indoor trick-or-treating at Deaconess Women's Hospital. With three floors of costumes and candy the kids were thrilled! We went back to my parents' house to hand out candy and for the traditional soup/sandwiches dinner.

This was our first Halloween in Evansville so as soon as they were in costume, 
we ran outside to freeze on the front porch making pictures just like I did as a child.
It was really special to share this holiday with my family for the first time.

- Friday we had a fun day out. Annabeth went with Aunt Lu to spend her birthday giftcard and to share lunch. Mama and I took Owen out to chick-fil-a to play on the playground and I redeemed a $2.99 coupon for a FREE milkshake. We all met up at the mall for a free ride on the carousel (the kids are in their birthday club and get free rides for their birthdays) and $11 glow-putt putt. This is an AMAZING deal as it's two full rounds of glow golf with over 50 holes at that price!

- Saturday we went to Owensboro to visit Momaw. We enjoyed lunch at Old Hickory and then split up boys and girls. Dad and Owen went downtown to the park by the river and us ladies enjoyed some Holiday Open Houses.
Just a couple of cowboys after a BBQ lunch.

- Sunday evening we all got back in town around the same time. Mark came in from hiking/camping and the rest of us came back from Evansville. Mark made an executive decision to splurge and get delivery pizza (we didn't have any freezer pizzas) using a gift card. We got the pizzas for free thanks to a gift card from a tire rebate. Mark will use the rest of it to buy his lunches for the week.

- Wednesday evening we made our own pizzas with Naan bread at home. The kids LOVE pizza and although they like freezer pizzas, they tire of them quickly. I try to mix it up and keep it fun when I can.

- Thursday Annabeth began her third session of P.E. at Franklin College. This is offered, for free, to homeschoolers once a semester. We also enjoyed a good hour of craft and play at the library with a friend afterwards.

- My Team Leader cash bonus came through this week! I will be putting most of it aside to save for vacation. I am SO excited to be a new Team Leader with Usborne Books & More and love the team I am building. Let me know if earning serious cash while selling children's books appeals to you!

Lastly this week, I just want to share a story.
Wednesday we were in Greenwood for an appointment. We stopped in one of the post offices there to mail a book. This is a post office that we never use but I just felt like I should stop there.
While waiting in line we met the neatest man! Owen had pulled a card with whales off the rack and the man said, "Oh, I wonder what kind of whales those are..." He flipped over the card, no description. He then said, "The absolute highlight of my life was seeing a blue while in the Arctic..." and proceeded to tell us an incredible story about whale spotting in the Arctic Circle. He then shared his pictures from his Alaska trip just last month. While out driving a large snow vehicle for work, his team came face to face with a polar bear. The pictures and his stories were incredible. I was so thankful to be in line with him.
My point? SLOW DOWN. Take time to talk to strangers, connect with the people around you.
I am like my Mama and my Momaw, strangers have always just connected with us, told us stories right away, and so I've learned to listen. I meet some of the most amazing people just by being willing to stop and listen.

I am working all weekend but am looking forward to connecting with lots of local people through my book business.

Happy Savings to All!








No comments: