Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Laundry Room Makeover and Why I LOVE Doing Laundry

We began renovating our house in March 2013 and moved in July 2013. During that time we painted and redid every room except the laundry room. 

We bought the house from our friend Renee who built/decorated in 1998.
This laundry room felt like 1998.
Dark, dark red and baskets, birds, and birdhouse galore!
It was good enough though since no one saw it but me

Over the years, I thought about wanting to redo it but just never felt the right idea. 

Then about two years ago, while reading a decorating magazine at Momaw's, I saw the most beautiful pink and gold bathroom. I KNEW that was what I wanted! I have never been able to decorate my own space. Growing up I had the wallpaper my parents chose, then a dorm, than an apartment that Leah designed, and then spaces shared with Mark who clearly doesn't want pink or gold. I decided it would be my laundry room decor. 

One day, while at Lowe's we found the PERFECT pink paint in the mistint section and paid just $9 for enough paint to paint the whole room! I found some decor items from around the house, paid $7 for a gold switch plate (probably the most ridiculous splurge of the whole thing), and had my friend Katelyn at No Strings Attached Signs created the perfect sign for my shelf. 

Laundry room perfection!
Mark had the idea for the laundry cart to hold all the cleaners and things.
He also added that giant rod so I can dry all things in the laundry room
instead of in the showers.

What it really looks like not styled for a picture.

The perfect gold switch plate.

When I was going through Pinterest looking for laundry ideas over the years, one thing I pinned over and over were signs with a certain saying: "I still remember the days when I prayed for what I have now"

In the years of waiting for children, in my darkest infertility moments, I would BEG God for children. These tearful prayers often came while doing laundry. I promised Him that I would love to clean little hands and faces, that I would read all the books, that I would devote myself to them, and that I would LOVE the laundry load of a big family. 


Even now, even after being a Mama for 9+ years, I LOVE the laundry. I pray for my family as I do our laundry. I thank the Lord that we can buy clothes that fit for all the seasons, I am thankful to wash muddy baseball pants and piles of tutus because my children are doing the things they love, and I am thankful to wash food stained clothes because it means we had enough to eat that day. In my laundry room I choose to thank and praise the Lord for all of my many blessings and for the gift of serving my family. 










No comments: