Friday, September 7, 2018

Frugal Friday 261

Happy Frugal Friday!

Here is how we saved money/spent money wisely/made extra money this week:

- I listed many items for sale on Facebook. I was able to sell enough to cover the cost of a new (to us) Matilda Jane holiday shirt. I had been searching the resale sites and found just the one I wanted. My rule for myself on fun things like that is that I have to sell some older items to get the new. Spent $40 - Sold $45 of ours - Came out $5 ahead.

- Our friend Alysha brought over a whole box of 5s and 6s hand-me-downs for Owen. Thank you Alysha and boys! We also bought laundry detergent from her son's baseball fundraiser.

- Mark worked a Touch-a-Truck event on Saturday. The kids and I volunteered and helped fill Meal Bags. If you, or an organization you work with such as scouting, are looking for a service project collecting food items for our Meal Bags would be a great one! Let me know if you'd like more information about donations - we collect gallon ziplock bags, individual Ramen noodles/oatmeal, snacks, and small desserts.

- Owen finished the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program at our local library. We started last October and finsihed on September 1st. He was very excited to collect his 1,000 Books Read sticker and new Pete the Cat book.

This dude read 1,000+ books in just 11 months!
We are reading Farmer Boy right now and Owen wants a pig for Christmas.
Happy Reading O!

- Saturday afternoon, we took the kids out to the Hoosier Candy Cupboard place for ice cream, candy, and were extra excited to be there right as a train came past. They both love it there and we love that we can all enjoy a local snack for around $10 for the whole family! We took a long afternoon drive afterwards which was really fun for Mark and me. We used to do a lot of that before kids and it was lovely to do.

- We drove up to Indy and dropped off the kids' crib and crib mattress to a sweet gal and her family. We have known her since she was in middle school and it still amazes me that she is all grown up with a husband, little girl, and baby on the way! Both of our kids used the same crib and I have been having a hard time of thinking of letting it go so giving it to people we love made it so much easier!

- We spent Labor Day afternoon outback playing in the baby pool and sprinkler. It was over 90 degrees and we just enjoyed a looonnggg hot summer afternoon.

Bright Sun - Check
Super Hot Day - Check
Popsicle - Check
Labor Day Complete!

- Yesterday we met my best friend and 2/3 of her boys at the Commons Playground in Columbus. I took some books to share and she brought clothes for me and a friend. We all packed lunch and had a great few hours of FREE (and air-conditioned!) play.

Frugal Fail: We put off trimming our trees and ended up having one of them break. The project is too big for us right now so we called a tree company. We will have to pay them but got a good deal so that made us a bit happy. As I mentioned in a post earlier this week, I locked us out of our house which led to Mark breaking our lock which means we also had to buy a new lock for our door this week. Thankful for an extra book sale this week to cover some of those costs. 

We are looking forward to a great weekend celebrating my sister's birthday!
Happy Savings to All! 

No comments: