Monday, August 5, 2019

Going Gray: 10 Month Check-In

10 Months Gray. Checking in today because I did a BIG chop on my hair tonight with my favorite hair gal Christy Stearns.

If you haven't been following this journey check out my
4 Month Check-In 
and
4.5 Month Check-In.

Late July
As you can see I had a really decent amount of gray growth at the
top and then darker, gray streaked hair at the bottom

How have the past six months been?

First of all, let me say how incredibly thankful I am that I splurged and got professional help with a cut and color four months into this process. I had been very insecure and felt frumpy before Christy helped me with the color. I am also SO thankful for her color advice as I was prepared to bleach and strip all of the color. That would have been a HUGE mistake as my hair is still growing in mostly white but with enough dark and gray that I would have had some very dark root places that I would have needed to deal with.

I am also so thankful that I had hair I felt great about for some big moments this spring...

 Easter Sunday
April 2019 - Six months gray 

Niagara Falls 
May 2019 - I have waited my whole life to see these falls

 Our 10th Wedding Anniversary
May 23, 2019

When I talked to Christy about the color process, those last two pictures - our New York trip/10th Anniversary Trip - was my focus. We had planned and saved for this trip for so long and I knew I didn't want to dislike the way I looked, how my hair looked in my pictures. I wanted to love them and I did! I even texted Christy from our trip to say "thank you" for helping me be confident again.

Why a haircut now?
I have waited so long because I had been hoping to grow as much of the dark out as I could before cutting it again. I was hoping to get all, or nearly all, of the dark dark parts cut tonight.

Christy, as always, did such an awesome job! It's a little shorter than I would like, or than she suggested, but I just really wanted the grow out process DONE and now it is!

As gray as it gets

 I wish I could make these curls happen on my own at home!

In a world where you can be anything,
be yourself. 







2 comments:

Abbi said...

Your hair looks great! I am dealing with some graying now too (I didn't start nearly as young as you) and have dealt with a few insecurities about it but mostly I just like to be natural so I will be rolling with however it goes. :-)

Amy Riley said...

Going Gray is a hard transition at any age. I will say that allowing it to be gray has made my hair thicker and smoother over time than when I colored it.