Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Dear Leah

Dear Leah,

We ended each night of college with out-loud "Dear Leah" and "Dear Amy" letters of our days. It was how we shared our hearts, our hopes, our dreams, and our grievances about the other not taking the trash out.

I do not know what my college years would have been without you. I think back to that second night, me alone and scared in my room, content to watch TV and then that knock on my door that changed my life. You. Thank you for being the brave one, who didn't want to sit alone, who wanted to reach out and connect.

I am so thankful for our three years as roommates, for the year we each planned our weddings, for those crazy two weeks in which we both got married. I am so thankful for the love across the years and miles since then.

I won't forget the day in May when I learned my first born would be a girl. After a call to my family, you were my first phone call. Her "beth" in part for your Elisabeth. Thank you for celebrating with me and for sharing in the joy that day.

I am sorry for the "Dear Amy" that was followed with news of your second baby and your breast cancer diagnosis. For the past 14+ months it has been my joy, my honor to write you "Dear Leah" letters each week. I've had so much fun making, creating cards and artwork to share with you and I prayed, and cried, over those letters. Thank you for bearing with me when I wanted to be there, to say the right thing but didn't know how or what to say.

Even though I knew this was coming, I prayed for peace for you, for your body, your mind, and most of all your soul. Even though I know you left this life for THE life, THE party with our precious Lord, the world feels so different without you. It feels so sad to know that this Dear Leah is the first that won't be followed with a Dear Amy.  Thank you for your beautiful Christian witness in times of strength, success, trials, and sickness. You always pointed right back at Jesus with joy. I am thankful to have known you, to have loved you, and to have been loved so unconditionally by you.

So, Leah, I hope you're dancing our crazy dorm dance, singing and playing the horn to praise Jesus, and being held by the angels. I cannot even imagine how much brighter you're making heaven. While I am still here, I promise to remember to wear a necklace with the necklines you taught me to, I'll get my hair done regularly, I'll sing loud, and Leah, I will love hard, so hard the people in my life while I can.

Love,
Mojo


No comments: