Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Last Minute Snuggles

Today was one of those days.
It was the first day back in a routine in nearly a week.
We had a hectic Thursday last week with a long orthodontist appointment for Annabeth, a fall off a horse for Owen. Friday we had an eye exam and then came home to play outside and bake a birthday cake. Saturday was Annabeth's birthday and then Sunday was birthday part two with Mark's family. Yesterday was birthday recovery, co-op, and difficult news from a friend.

I woke up today not excited.
Not excited to clean or teach or work or parent or... anything.
I wanted a day to myself, to recover from the busyness, to process that hard news.
BUT we homeschool. I'm home full time. The kids are home full time. So no time off here.

Lots of little things added up all day:
getting all of the clothes done, baskets empty, clothes put away only to find a whole outfit under someone's bed,
finding that the kids had played with something I needed for my Usborne Books & More business that I can no longer use. It will be $30 to replace,
Getting to the library only to find that the single item that we HAD to return today was still at home because despite being asked 15 times no one grabbed the library bag,
We got some library books, went to Travel Club, enjoyed a fast-food dinner and a fun movie and yet when it was time for bed all they said was "I wish Grandpa and Mimi were back" and "I wish Daddy was home"

I was irritated. Maybe even angry. I wanted to just throw my hands up and say, "Get in bed people!" while I planned to do better tomorrow.

Then I looked at their little faces, I felt my heart change.
I pulled them in for a last minute group snuggle.

I'm not a perfect parent, I'm not a model homeschool parent, I'm not a boss mom who manages it all beautifully BUT I am currently SO aware of the gift of time with my children.

Two weeks ago, a friend of ours lost his life on the way to work. I know his family, his children would love to snuggle him. This week, my hard news, is that a friend is entering what may be the end of her earthly struggles. I know her family is wishing for time, for her to hold them.

So I hugged my children for myself, for themselves but also for their Daddy who had a meeting, for their grandparents who live out of town and in honor of those who can't be with their families.

I love these two more than they will ever know

No comments: