Thursday, June 18, 2009

A Perfect Day

Today I had a perfect day.

I have been struggling for the past week or so...it's been difficult to adjust to a new place (especially knowing that I will be living here for a while so I have to like it) and a new way of life (as Mark's wife). I have also been struggling with no news on the job front. As someone who always succeeded, life since losing my job in February has felt very much like one, long failure. I realize that I have taken two great vacations, seen more of my family and friends, gotten married, moved, etc BUT on a personal-professional level, I feel like nothing.

So, I was very much in need of a perfect day. I woke up to rain (which usually causes me to have low days on the depression scale, but not today! Thank you God for JOY!) Following my breakfast of a grilled cheese sandwich I went to the grocery, alone with my coupons and spent a hour there. (I love going to the grocery when I can be alone and take my time. This love began in Louisville when it was my few moments of alone time each week. I love it even now.) After putting away the groceries at home, I went to the public library to get my new card. I fell in love -- like I always do at bookstores and libraries. I picked just four books, so I can back sooner, and then proceeded to spend the afternoon reading one. ("Knit Two" by Kate Jacobs the sequel to "The Friday Night Knitting Club") I finished just in time to make dinner and to eat with Mark. Then I sat down with a bucket of Baskin Robbins cookie dough ice cream and watched "You've Got Mail." A perfect day.

This is the day that the Lord has made, let us REJOICE! and be GLAD! in it!

No comments: