Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Handprints on my Heart

One of the very first serious conversations Mark and I ever had, before we were even friends or dating or courting or engaged or married, involved him talking about his desire for children and a handprint project.

Three years ago, on Father's Day, Annabeth and I gifted Mark with a canvas and paint to make a family handprint project. We hung it on a small wall in the breakfast room and that it is where it has been since then.


This year, the three of us gifted Mark with another set of paint and another canvas to celebrate Father' Day. We enjoyed adding Owen's little hand to our family print.


As soon as we made the new one, my mind went back to a canvas wall project I had been thinking about. Other than the original handprint canvas, we had two more that Annabeth has painted. One we keep in her room and one in the school room. I thought that maybe I could create some kind of cohesive wall art with all of them. I kicked around a few ideas, hopped on Pinterest for inspiration, and then went to buy a canvas today.


I had a plan to use a canvas with a neat "art" or "create" or "paint" type quote. I was thinking that we would start hanging all of our canvases on the one wall.


I first made a canvas that says "Every picture tells a story..." I included an arrow with four feathers and four hearts (one for each of us).


Then I decided that since I had purchased a two pack of canvases that I would let Annabeth paint one. I taped off sections of it with the idea of writing a special Bible verse. I thought maybe I would use part of our wedding verses or a verse we memorized in school last year. She and I had a lot of fun painting and we also enjoyed leafing through the Bible together looking for inspiration.


My mind kept going back to the arrow I had haphazardly drawn on the "every picture..." canvas. Which led me to Psalm 127:3-5:



Children are a heritage from the Lord,
offspring a reward from him.

Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
    are children born in one’s youth.
Blessed is the man
    whose quiver is full of them.
They will not be put to shame
    when they contend with their opponents in court.

It made me smile because just weeks before learning that we were expecting Owen, our pastor had asked us if we were thinking about any more children. Mark replied, "I think our quiver is full" as we were not sure if the Lord would bless us again. And then, He did. Pastor was one of the first to notice that we were expecting and knew weeks before much of our friends and family that #2 was coming. When I read that verse, I am led back to that seemingly random question from Pastor Lee, our hope for another child, and the joy of the Lord filling our hearts and home. 

Annabeth had beautifully, all on her own, painted the canvas ombre style using purple, pink, and yellow. I used a modification of Psalm 127:3-5. "Children are a gift from the Lord, they are a reward from him." I included two arrows for each of our two children and verse 4. Then I added the word "blessed" because we are so blessed and for verse 5. 

This canvas wall is nothing like I intended it to be but led to a beautiful afternoon of painting and delving into the Word with my children. It was a reminder that His plan is always better than mine :) 

Our finished canvas wall.
Now I have to figure out what to do with the
other two paintings that were the start of this whole project.

No comments: