Monday, May 5, 2014

140th Running of the Kentucky Derby

This past Saturday, we enjoyed our Annual Derby Party at my Momaw's house.

Each year we enjoy taco dip, salsa, and cheese dip with chips before the race. Those who drink alcohol also enjoy a Mint Julep. We do some light betting on the races with enough pots that most families win most of, if not, all of their money back. Then the race is run - the fastest 2.5 minutes in sports! After the race, my Dad tallies all of the winnings and during an Old Hickory BBQ dinner the winnings are distributed. This year's big winner was 8 year old Kaleb who picked the best Win-Place-Show ticket and won $75! The prizes for "Best Hat(s)" are also handed out.

I have won "Best Hat" the past two years so this year I just wore my prize horse earrings and decorated my hat with my prize horse scarf. BUT Annabeth's Mama-made horse hat did win "Most Creative!" Success in the craft department!

Riley Hat Ladies 

After a week in Kentucky, 
Annabeth felt right at home on a John Deere tractor 

Receiving her prize for "Most Creative" hat
She loves being with her Aunt Lu too!

Happy 140th Running of the Kentucky Derby! 

No comments: