Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Freezer Meals: Part Two

As promised, here is the followup to Freezer Meals: Part One.

The menu I used was from this blog.

We have now made each of the meals one time and I thought I would leave the exact recipe I used and what our family thought about each one.

BBQ Chicken

2 Onions
4 Potatoes
4 Cloves Garlic
2 Chicken Breasts
400g Tomato Sauce
1 Tbsp Worcester Sauce
1 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tbsp Dried Mustard
1 Tbsp BBQ Sauce (per bag)

Split all ingredients between 2 freezer bags
Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

- This was the perfect size meal for our family of three. Mark and I were each able to eat our normal serving size and Annabeth had a large toddler portion as well. If you are a family with more people and/or older child(ren) you would want to put all of this into one bag for a complete meal. 
- As for taste, this really was not a BBQ Chicken meal as we generally think of BBQ. Mark said it was more of a sweet tomato chicken meal. 
- Her original recipe did not contain more vegetables - which I omitted because Annabeth is allergic. It also added salt which I did not do because we do not salt our food.

Mediterranean Pork

1/2 Cup Olive Oil
2 Cups Chicken Stock
4 Cloves Garlic, Chopped
1 Sweet Potato 
2 Tbsp Dried Oregano 
2 Tbsp Dried Basil
6-8 Pork Chops

Split all ingredients between 2 freezer bags
Cook on low for 6 hours

- Again, this was a good size meal for the three of us. I do think I would use one sweet potato per bag in the future.
- Mark and I both really liked this meal. Annabeth did not. That surprised me as she likes pork as well as sweet potatoes so it must have been something in the seasoning. 
- Next time I think I will use that recipe for one bagged dinner or double to have two freezer meals.

Teriyaki Chicken

6 Carrots
1 Red Onion
1 Can Chopped Pineapple
2 Cloves Garlic
2 Potatoes
2 Chicken Breasts
1 Cup Teriyaki Sauce 

Split all ingredients between 2 freezer bags
Cook on low for 8 hours

- This meal made four healthy sized portions. It was the first of these meals that I would consider working for a family of four.
- Again, Mark and I both liked this meal and Annabeth did not. Mark did say the sauce had a strong taste so it may have been too much Teriyaki for her taste.
- I served it over rice which was quite yummy!

Overall, I am glad that I tried freezer meals. I had such a hard time figuring out which ones I wanted to use off the internet but these three recipes were all very good and were ones that I would use again. Back to Pinterest for more ideas... 

No comments: