Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Frugal Birthday Fun!

I love LOVE celebrating birthdays - especially Annabeth's, Mark's, and mine.

For the past two birthdays we have lived in Franklin and the weekend of her birthday just so happens to be the Dachshund Derby and the Franklin Fall Festival. Both events are free, although you can choose to make purchases to support local businesses. We have a lot of fun at each event and it's nice to enjoy FREE fun! Last year we had lunch at our favorite coffee shop in Franklin, Benjamin's, but this past Saturday the line was out the door so we headed over to Ann's - the oldest restaurant in Franklin. My parents and sister were already in town and I think they enjoyed coming along as well. Because her party was Saturday afternoon we did not stick around the festival too long after lunch but she did enjoy jumping in the free bounce houses for nearly an hour.

Annabeth and Mark with the Dachshund Derby sign.
Her cute dachshund shirt is a hand-me-down from her cousins.
It was the perfect thing to wear to that event! 

She LOVED the bounce houses!
We loved that they were free!

Sunday, her actual birthday, we went to Appleworks Farm. They have SO many fun things to do, especially in the fall. Guests can pick apples and pumpkins, nature hike, pet animals in the petting zoo, explore a maze, play in the playground, and more all for free! Many of the other orchards in our area charge per person to enjoy these kinds of activities. We did end up purchasing some apples and Mark and Annabeth picked their pumpkins for the year but Appleworks' prices are very affordable.

Daddy and Annabeth hiking out to find their pumpkins 

Us girls in front of the big pumpkin sign 

She really enjoyed feeding the animals at the petting zoo.

When it comes to birthdays, especially Annabeth's as she is only three, I want them to be fun and memorable but I do not think that we have to spend a lot of money to accomplish those goals. We had a wonderful weekend with our family and we enjoyed it without spending a lot of money.

There is one birthday thing that I really splurge on: each year I have made a Shutterfly photo book of all of her birthday celebrations. I make it soon after we finish up the festivities and then I wait to order/print it until I have a coupon to get it free. I pay <$8 shipping and I think it is the best birthday gift I can give her.

Happy Frugal Birthday Nanners!



No comments: